Days 28 - 29: Keeping Cool

A baby lavender plant on my balcony is just starting to bloom.
The bees are already interested and have been visiting the first tiny blooms!

Two excellent ways to keep cool.
Use some hydrosol (floral water) to make refreshing drinks and face sprays.

For the drink
Add 2-4 tablespoons (according to personal taste) of organic Peppermint hydrosol
to 1 1/2 litres of spring water.
Drink throughout the day and keep the bottle cool in the fridge.

For the face spray:
Fill a small aerosol bottle with spring water,
add 1-2 teaspoons of Peppermint hydrosol
shake gently to mix.
Keep this refrigerated and use on the face, neck and shoulders
to freshen up during the day.
If I'm away from home for a few hours, I take the bottle with me in my bag!

Try these two recipes and I shall be happy to hear of your experience!

***

What is a hydrosol?
"During the distillation process that yields essential oils, the steam containing the oils is chilled,
thus turning into water, with a layer of essential oils floating on top.
The essential oils are skimmed off and bottled for our use.
The remaining water contains both minute molecules of the essential oil,
as well as all the water soluble elements of the plant that are not present in the oil."

Text taken from this site


6 comments

  1. Sounds delightful. Never heard of hydrosol before. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Peppermint one works wonders when a fine mist is sprayed on the face or when added to spring water!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of it either, but it does sound interesting! Maybe I should try your recipie - it's been too hot for much too long...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, do try this lovely recipe. You may be surprised at how good it makes you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of hydrosol either. Sounds like a very creative way to freshen up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a lovely way to find coolness in these very hot days. I've just prepared a fresh face spray and will take it with me when I go out for the day today!

      Delete