Recognizing Your Eye

COLOUR

Noticing the elements which appear the most in my favourite photos is an excellent way of  seeing what is important to me. Sometimes there is just one element, sometimes several of them in the same photo as in the shot above.
Here is a list of the elements that appear the most:

Colour
Light
Detail
Shape
Contrast
Soft focus
Sharp outlines
Story
Reflections


I also notice that shadow and light appear in my photos which give depth and sometimes drama. There are new elements which are appearing too like: texture and line.


LIGHT

DETAIL

SHAPE

CONTRASTING COLOURS

SOFT FOCUS AND SHARP OUTLINES

STORY
This really was a story happening on the lake which I followed with great interest and with my camera at sunset!

STORY
I love this one because the story is unknown to me. This bicycle is padlocked to the railings by the lake every morning and it disappears at night. I have never seen the owner!

REFLECTIONS
in Florence

To illustrate two new elements appearing in my photos recently - I have enclosed them here:

TEXTURE
and

LINES

Have I recognized my eye? 
There are so many elements to choose from... but if I needed to reduce the list, I would probably choose:
colour and light, detail, story and reflections... but I would miss the other elements if I didn't use them!

































12 comments

  1. The photos are stunning, Sandra! Love the really close-up of the flower of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!! you did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Sandra! You have made a wonderful start on the journey to Find Your Eye. I don't think we will ever be able to give a simple answer to what our "eye" encompasses, but even naming it, a little, gives us a sort of power. I like how you've shared examples of the different elements, and what you pulled out. I look forward to watching where the journey takes you next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous images, Zinnia! That sunset pic really grabbed my heart.....there is a story there. You seem to be able to define your " eye" pretty clearly-- you really make these elements work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandra, the close ups of the flowers are gorgeous. I love the color. Also I see you have an eye for line and details. The delicacy of the branches with the berries and the lighting in that one is so lovely. I'm interested in the camera telling a story too. You obviously have many directions that you can take with your photography. I'm also taking the next step and am glad that we can journey together.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures every one!! I really love the sunset - mainly because I adore them and this is a good one. I love how you have captured the light in your 2nd shot and your river with the reflections of the lights - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful photos! The detail of the flowers is amazing and I love the letterbox!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the details on the orange & pink flowers is QUITE amazing, they are gorgeous images & i love the untold story of the bike, hope you catch them one day, or not, a mystery is always good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous flowers and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gasped when I saw the first picture! That orange! The detail! It's so visually stunning. Beautiful work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous group of images! You've done a wonderful job of identifying all the key elements that define your interests and style. When I look at your beautiful images, the things that really stand out for me are your love of rich color, interest in form, and the capture of a mood or feeling. The latter is about the desire to include the telling of a story, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna, it is true that I enjoy the rich, vibrant colours that nature offers us, but I also enjoy pastels and muted, quiet tones. It is right that I love shapes and form and to capture a mood in what I observe. I like it too when a picture tells us a story which I sometimes prefer not to interpret so that the picture may remain free to flow as it is meant to without receiving a label from me, the observer!

    ReplyDelete