Goodbye May!

Beautiful Redbud growing very near my neighbourhood.

I can't believe how quickly the month of May has gone.
Every day I wanted to make a new blog entry, but there was always something else
which seemed to take all my attention.
So I'm making a new entry before I go to bed on the last day of the month.

The Dogwood flowers have been especially beautiful this year.

They look so lovely against that light blue sky.

Sitting in the park one day in the shade of the chestnut trees which were in flower.

A small wild flower growing among the wild grasses in the park.

The Rhododendrons have been simply gorgeous.

The tender pink of the Abelia bush taken on an early evening walk in my neighbourhood.

My birthday is in the middle of the month of May
 and this lovely card was from my son and his wife. 
It's beautifully embroidered!

I went with a friend to stay a night in a hotel above the lake and near the town of Vevey.
The view from there is stunning.
Here is one of the statues on the patio!

There are five different very realistic sculptures around the hotel.

This one of the young couple is amusing!

This is the patio where we had a delicious birthday lunch under the parasols.
We were so lucky with the weather.
Towards the evening that was a storm with thunder and lightning and we witnessed the most
amazing double rainbow.

The sky turned black and we watched it through the dining-room window.
It was most impressive.
A double rainbow for my birthday!

The next morning before breakfast, I had a lovely long swim in the hotel's pool.
Sheer bliss!

There were two other ladies already swimming in the pool when I arrived at 6.45 am
I waited till they left before I took the photos

The patio adjoining the pool

Here is my individual birthday cake: dark chocolate mousse with fresh raspberries.

Multi layers of peachy coloured rose petals.

I started a new crochet project which I've called: Birthday Rainbow Blanket!

I've recently discovered a new way of joining crocheted granny squares.
It seems to be working well.

The first nine squares are joined and there will be more to show next time.

A newly painted electric wires box.
'Love is in the air'!

In memory of a loved one, forever close to my heart.
The words are by Theodor Seuss Geisel.

May has been mostly sunny and we even had a few days of heatwave
with temperatures around 30C.
Too hot for me and I was relieved when it cooled down to about 23 degrees.

Tomorrow, it will already be the month of June.

I just wanted to add this little drawstring bag I made from a pattern.
The red,white and blue is in honour of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.
I kept a souvenir postage stamp of the Queen, then Princess Elisabeth, when she gave
a radio broadcast with her sister, Margaret.
It was an encouraging message to all British children during World War II.
What an amazing Queen.
Maybe some of you, like me, have been watching the interesting programmes of the
celebrations on the BBC on television.
Link to the pattern by SewHappyCreativ

12 comments

  1. Fantastic pictures. So glad you managed a few days away and had fun on your birthday - even Mother Nature contributed a double rainbow as a present!

    Now you have June to look forward to xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarn. Yes, it was wonderful to get away for a couple of days and one night to celebrate my birthday! My son said that the double rainbow was the sky wishing me a happy birthday!

      Delete
  2. Hello.Wonderful pictures again. Happy birthday with delay. Think you had a lovely day. The hotel has a pretty good location. The view is phantastic. Like your Gtanny squares.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Gabi, for your kind wishes. Yes, I had a really lovely day and it was such a treat to have a night away with a beautiful view! My granny square blanket is growing!

      Delete
  3. Your photos beautiful capture May's blooms, Sandra! How wonderful that you had a little getaway, too. It looks like a fabulous place and your birthday cake looks so delectable. I'll take two please :)

    Lovely colors in your latest crocheted blanket! I hope June is an equally beautiful month for you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. My little getaway was wonderful! I thought that the rainbow colours of the new blanket would remind me of my birthday rainbow!

      Delete
  4. That’s a lovely crocheted Jubilee bag Sandra - and a delightful keepsake postage stamp xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for popping back in, Sarn, to see the little Jubilee bag and the postage stamp!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful pool and cake! Spectacular views! How lucky you are. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by today! Yes, my birthday getaway destination had fabulous views. It was wonderful to enjoy them for a night and and two days! The wonderful pool was a highlight of my stay!

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday, Sandra. It sounds like you have had a nice time. Wonderful place, wonderful flowers and you very, very good with crochet and pictures as always.
    I have enjoyed everything I could from Italy about the Queen's Jubilee, so I like your little bag very much!
    Have a nice week. Hopefully you have resolved the problems about your back.
    Big hug,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your kind wishes, Miriam. I am glad that you were able to see the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Italy! I followed it every day here as well. My back is so much better, thank you, but I guess it will remain a sensitive area! It's getting very hot here already!

    ReplyDelete