Walking for Health

First of all some beautiful spring flowers
just because they're so joyful!



Then on the homefront, a new crochet project which goes by the name of
Granny Rose Heart Pillow.
Please visit the Astri's lovely blog for this latest pattern

Isn't it beautiful?
I'm waiting for my heart-shaped pillow to arrive so that I can continue this exciting project.

Now about the walking.
Three years' ago, I bought some really comfortable walking shoes
when I did the Lausanne Walking Event
and the Quarter Marathon.
That was a good experience and my daughter came with me too
even though she normally prefers running!

Studies have been done to show that walking briskly for 30 minutes
every day is one of the most beneficial things we can do for our bodies
and our morale.
It has been found that this type of exercise lowers blood pressure, 
reduces cholesterol and helps maintain a healthy weight.
I took my pocket camera with me to take this photo in a door with a mirror incorporated.
I rather liked the fact that the Christmas decorations were still up!

Regular brisk walking strengthens bones and muscles
improves balance and coordination
helps prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.

A beautiful and very colourful sunrise which I captured from the end of my balcony.

My Amaryllis blooms have been beautiful this year. This is the last plant of the year.
I love watching the different stages of opening.

Each day a little more

Until all four buds opened up.

A single tiny leaf in the late afternoon sunshine.

Seedpods blowing in the wind

Fluffy 'Old Man's Beard'

I love passing the railings on my walking circuit
especially in the late afternoon when all these cheerful little lights come on.
All these scenes from my walking outings.

I'm progressing with my January Sunrise blanket.
One square a day and there are currently 21 squares with three more
ready to join.
I'm really enjoying this project.

There will be others to show in my next blog entry.
These cold winter's days are perfect for doing crochet or any other kind of handiwork.

My tiny indoor window box of miniature daffodils is nearly over.

Somehow, the month of January needs the cheerful colours of flowers
that are made available to us.

Are you filling this long month of January with all the things you love?


I'm adding an extra photograph as part of a 2020 Project 
for crocheting a flower a week for the whole year.

Look at Anabelia Craft Design
if you feel like joining in.
These two patterns are for the first two weeks of January.
I will be adding the others as they are generously given to us!

22 comments

  1. Your photos are stunning; the colours and perspective are wonderful! I always have my camera with me, though my photos pale in comparison to yours. I love to crochet too. Your Sunrise blanket is looking so beautiful. I love flowers, but not in the house; it always makes me feel sad watching them slowly fade and die. I'm not good with flowers and houseplants; they're better left in the garden. Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Jane. I don't have a garden, so I do enjoy flowering plants in my home. Crochet is something that we share and both love!

      Delete
  2. I love how you work with colors. They are cheerful and or soothing. Lovely to behold whether in your photography or your yarn art.

    Your self portrait is lovely. I enjoy walking too. Lovely walks to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammie. Colour is a very important part of my life. I find that working with colour through crochet is a huge pleasure and satisfaction! I'm sure that where you live is the perfect place for walking and to enjoy the beauties of nature in all seasons!

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures Sandra. Your blanket is looking lovely. The next blanket will be bigger than 6x8, the sizes were important to make exactly 6, however, I’m making more than that overall too. Beautiful daffodils. The crocheted flower above would look somewhat like a daffodil in yellow don’t you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm enjoying making this blanket. I actually have a daffodil pattern which you can see here: https://reflectionsandnature.blogspot.com/2018/03/what-to-do-on-rainy-day.html

      Delete
  4. You've found some wonderful ways to enjoy the colder January days! Your flowers and your crochet projects are beautiful! I'm not inside due to cold, but rain! I've been cross stitching. I finished another ornament and today gathered my supplies to start a sampler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true that January is a wonderful month for doing the things we love within the home when the weather keeps us inside. Well done for getting on with your cross-stitch ornaments and are about to start a sampler!

      Delete
  5. Your spring flowers look so pretty and your crochet projects too. Looking forward to seeing the finished cushion and blankets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. There seems to be a lot happening on the crochet front - maybe I took on just a tad too much. It all takes time, yet gives lots of satisfaction!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you've had a good month, Sandra with all that walking and your crochet :) I'm so glad I have a cozy hobby like my cross-stitching to keep me busy during the cold winter months. I walk 4-5 miles each day, but usually on my treadmill during the winter. We don't live in an area where it is easy to walk--too much traffic and no sidewalks. But, once spring arrives, I'll look forward to walking outside again at a nearby park. Thank you for sharing all of your pretty crochet and photos with us once again. Enjoy this last week of January ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I like to keep busy in the month of January which always seems so long! We have paths/sidewalks everywhere here on the outskirts of the town centre and even in the town. I can walk regularly every day because we have no snow or ice on the roads this year. I have created a good circuit in my neighbourhood which is virtually traffic free. Three times around is 30 minutes.
      I'm glad you like the crochet!

      Delete
  7. I don't know which of these photos is my favourite - the sunrise, the crochet, the leaf, those beautiful spring flowers, or you smiling!

    What pretty projects you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to see you Sue! Glad you liked looking around here! The winter months are perfect for our crochet projects, aren't they?!

      Delete
  8. I'm amazed to see how your month of January has been so full of pleasant events: your healthy walks, your beautiful crochet works and, as always, your wonderful flowers, always surrounded by them even in winter! I love your color palettes for the two crochet projects that you have in hands and I look forward to see how they look like once finished. Thank you very much for echoing my challenge and joining it with these two beautiful flowers. I have created a Pinterest board to also gather all the flowers crocheted throughout 2020 there, and I've already added yours. I wish you a month of February is as happy and stimulating as January has been. Happy weekend, Sandra! 💕 🍃🌸🍃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to have you visit! Yes, I always need flowers, especially in the winter! Colour is so important for us all, isn't it?
      I love the two flowers that you have already given us. I shall look forward to seeing the next ones! Yes, it's a busy time for me with several crochet projects. Maybe I took on rather a lot to manage all at the same time! We shall see.

      Delete
  9. I like those blues and pinks. Your crochets are lovely.

    I definitely need to walk more. There's always something wonderful to see while walking.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lissa. Daily walking is a lovely thing to do for our bodies and minds. My umbrella got a good walking in the rain with me today. I like to change my umbrella with my mood and today it was the bright pink one with white polka dots!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos Sandra. I also love taking flowers photos wherever I go. I love the beautiful sky photo too. I wish I could paint 😄. The crochet flowers are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping in to say hello and for leaving a comment! Beautiful flowers are so appreciated during these winter months!

      Delete
  11. A lovely post, and so full of ideas! I am headed out to walk as soon as my pumpkin custard pie comes out of the oven. The best to you from the coast of Maine, USA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Sandy. Walking is one of the healthiest things we can do for our bodies and for feelings of well-being!

      Delete