Bertha: Scene and Story - August 2017

Bertha and the heat-wave.

Bertha mopped her brow as she staggered out of the relentless heat of the midday sun.
She had spied a comfortable looking chair in front of a boutique
and plopped herself down on it.
"Whew!" she said to herself, slightly out loud,
"I can't take much more of this heat."
Her feet were killing her
 and she knew that she shouldn't have worn her red shoes with the pointed toes.
She glanced down at her nail polish,
even that seemed to be melting ... or was it a trick of the light?

After a few minutes, the shopkeeper came out and said:
"Would you like a fan too?"
Bertha wasn't sure if the woman was being facetious,
so she said: "Oh yes please, if you're selling them!"
They did, and Bertha bought one!

The shopkeeper said: 
"I can't believe this! The back of my chair is covered in the same material as your dress!
I made it out of a remnant from last year's stock."
"So it is", said Bertha, 
"I bought the material here last year and made the summer dress I'm wearing."
The shopkeeper smiled, looking pleased and warming to Bertha.
"Why don't I go and get us both a glass of iced water," she said.
Bertha smiled back and felt grateful
and thought how nice it was that the heat-wave had made her seek out a shady spot.
Now she had a new fan, a glass of cooled water and a friendly shopkeeper with whom to chat.

Life is good, she thought to herself, even during a heat-wave 
... especially in the shade!

*****


30 comments

  1. What a delightful story! I'm glad Berta sought refuge in that particular spot so we could hear her story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the story of Bertha. Isn't she a character?!

      Delete
  2. Your imagination is so delightful and a delight to read. Thoroughly enjoyed the story of Bertha and the heat-wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the story of Bertha in the heat-wave, Sarah! She looks like I felt this summer!!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Sandra, this is a wonderful story! I love Bertha and the shopkeeper. There's a lesson here, too. I've often had lovely experiences that began with just a few words exchanged with a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lee. I'm glad you enjoyed meeting Bertha and the shopkeeper! That's so true what you say about exchanging a few words with a stranger. It can be a really beautiful experience.

      Delete
  4. I am having a big smile on my face reading your delightful story while experiencing the worst heat wave we have had so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed reading about Bertha and how she dealt with the heat wave! We too have experienced heat wave after heat wave in Switzerland this year. At times it was really difficult to bear! I hope that yours will soon be over!

      Delete
  5. This is such a playful post. I love it and Bertha, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! Bertha is rather fun, isn't she!!

      Delete
  6. :) cute story, but Bertha needs some flats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi. I guess Bertha wanted to look elegant in her red heels, but next time she might wear more comfortable sandals!

      Delete
  7. Sandra, this is such a wonderful story! Is there a little bit of yourself in Bertha, melting in the heatwave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! I would say that Bertha looks how I felt for a good part of our own heat-wave summer!!

      Delete
  8. Maybe Bertha shouldn't have gone shopping in the midst of a heat-wave. On the other hand, if she hadn't she wouldn't have met the shopkeeper... Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Marjan! Ah yes, shopping in a heat.wave isn't fun, but we can't stop living our everyday lives just because of the heat! It's preferable to go out early mornings though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww -what a totally delightful story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Fi! Some images just seem to tell a story all on their own, don't they?!

      Delete
  11. What a great story, Sandra.
    It makes me smile.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! It made me smile quite a lot when I was writing it!!!

      Delete
  12. Bertha is really a character ;-)) Thanks for the story and I wish you a great September !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lasse! Yes, Bertha made me smile! I hope your September will be beautiful!

      Delete
  13. Lovely story and photo.
    Wonderful how discomfort can turn to: life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammie Lee. Yes, it's so true that some uncomfortable situations can turn into something really positive, especially when we seek out the good side!

      Delete
  14. Ha! Scene and fictional story is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! Who said it was fictional? It could be me!!

      Delete
  15. That is the best Bertha story! Maybe you should do a story about Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see you, Mary! Thanks! Bertha's quite a character, isn't she? I already thought about introducing Fiona here!!

      Delete
  16. I can relate to Bertha. I'm glad the shop woman was kind to Bertha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of you to come in and leave a comment, Vicki! I too can relate to Bertha! I don't take kindly to heat waves!

      Delete