Along the Water's Edge

My favourite time to go down to the lake is early mornings
when it's very quiet and sometimes the lakeside is a little hazy.

This is the path I took, towards the Valais end of the lake.
The Valais is another canton.
I live in the canton of Vaud.
Canton can be translated as 'county' and there are 26 of them in Switzerland.

This is one of the first things I see when I cross the road from the metro station
over towards the lake.
I just love this elegant weather vane.
I've lined it up to fit into the open mouth-like structure on the stone column.
There are four columns and the cut-out opening shows which wind
is blowing at that particular moment.
I must take a photo of all four columns one of these days.

This sailing boat is always anchored in the same spot.

Before going in the direction I wanted to go, I just looked in on the steam-boat port.
They are still resting and their usual spring activity has been delayed
like many other things. in this uncomfortable period of the third wave of pandemic
currently surging across Europe.
The restaurants have also remained closed.

Some of the sailing boats in the port.
A fine line of snow can still be seen on the mountain range in the background.

Magnolia bud.
I did walk down part of the way to the lake.
I know that there are lovely Magnolia Trees lining the paths.
Many of them were still in bud form, but one tree in a sunny spot was coming into full bloom

These are a dainty variety of Magnolia with smaller blooms and long, expressive petals.

As we look to the right, we can see the Geneva end of the lake
with the snow-topped Jura mountains in the distance.

I did like to see a man on this sailing boat
I wondered if he was hoping the wind would allow him to take a sail
later on that morning.
In the meantime, he was just enjoying the peace of the moment, like me.

Above the lake there lovely areas to walk and I did enjoy seeing
this pathway lined with cherry trees.
There were other people up there enjoying the blossoms
and the excellent view of the lake from above.

The blossom was so beautiful close up

The blue of the cloudless sky set it off so perfectly.

This vibrant rhododendron bush was in full bloom

As I walked back along the lake, there was some activity on the water
A sailing boat had found a necessary breeze
and a boat of men doing rowing practice.

Coming back towards the port in Ouchy
We can see a small sailing boat in the distance going towards the Geneva end.

Coming closer to the area where I started my gorgeous walk 
along the water's edge.
There is such a feeling of serenity when I walk near the lake in the early mornings.
Early evenings are lovely too, though there are often more people there
to enjoy winding down at the end of their day.

I thought it would be lovely to end this walk by the lake with a colourful, flowery collage
of the blossoms and flowers I saw along the way.
The city gardeners do a grand job in the choice of flowers and colour combinations.
This spring, the colours are lots of orange and yellow, like these California Poppies above.

I hope that you are enjoying the beauty of spring where you live.
It's my favourite time of the year.
I seem to say that all the time!

I've just added my Easter greetings 
on Sunday April 4th!

The big chocolate bunny is a gift from my son and made from
70% cocoa Maracaibo chocolate!
The crocheted bunnies on the card and on the white jug
are this year's Easter decorations!
Happy Easter!

18 comments

  1. I think that I enjoyed your early morning walk almost as much as you did! As much as I am looking forward to tree and flower blossoms, I will miss seeing the bare trees. That weather vane is pretty. I would never have guessed what it was.

    Wishing you a Happy Easter Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! Our trees are still bare too, but the bushes are coming into leaf and the trees will soon do the same. I love that weather vane too!

      Thank you for your Easter wishes. I hope you have a beautiful Easter also!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the relaxing walk with you! I've always loved your beautiful lake, it is especially pretty with all the spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed joining me on my walk, Cathy. I like to get down to the lake nice and early before all the crowds start coming! Everything seems to be blooming at once right now! It's all so beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Ciao Sandra, I can’t explain what the view of the lake (with the snowy mountains around) moves inside me, where it gives me back...thank you. And surely, thank you for all the pictures of the flowers with their wonderful colors.
    Thank you, have a nice evening,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you've enjoyed your walk along the lake, Miriam.I like to be out and about in the early mornings so that I can enjoy this beautiful area without crowds of people! The spring flowers are suddenly all coming into bloom at the same time. I love the explosion of colour!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sandra, very nice pictures. I enjoyed to walk with you on the lake. So relaxing. I remember the days I was there with my parents,many years ago. Happy memories.
    May be some day I will go there again.
    Have a happy easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabi. Glad you enjoyed the lakeside walk with me! It reminded you of happy memories with your parents!
      May you have a Happy Easter as well!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for taking me on your delightful walk Sandra. Your pictures are stunning. Spring has sprung!

    Hugs,Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarn. Spring seems to be exploding over here and the temperatures are soaring (maybe a little too much so early in the season). No doubt we shall be getting April showers in the near future and then even the leaves on the trees will start to unfold!

      Delete
  6. Happy Easter Sandra. I have nice memories of delicious things I used to eat in this period during the years of my childhood in Switzerland...miss all!
    Big hug,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miriam! It's such a lovely time of the year with Nature exploding so beautifully and now Easter with chocolate bunnies and special, festive breakfasts! I'm sure you miss many aspects of all your favourite things in Switzerland from your childhood! Have a wonderful Easter!

      Delete
  7. Happy Easter to you too, unfortunately a little late. But now I have enjoyed your morning walk and it was a delightful walk along your beautiful lake. Your pic no 3 with the weather station is very creative !!
    Hugs from Lasse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lasse, it's never too late to wish a happy anything! Thank you for your wishes. I love that C-shaped weather vane because it always looks so elegant!

      Delete
  8. I like the still water, or least, they appear so in these photos. Those magnolias sure knows how to express themselves.

    I haven't seen that many spring colors here but the trees have grown back their leaves.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lissa, Yes, the water was calm on most of these days that I went down to the lake. Sometimes it looks a little ruffled when there is a small breeze which makes the sailing boats happy!

      The leaves are just starting to unfurl on the bushes and trees now and in no time at all, everything will be fresh and green! Thank you for your visit!

      Delete
  9. Yes, I love early morning by the water, too, Sandra, and your photos have perfectly captured how special that time is! Your photos of both water and blossoms are lovely and I'm hoping your spring lasts a while longer. Here spring is just a blink of an eye and then the hot and humid summer weather moves in too quickly. Hope your next half of the month is equally lovely ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to have you visit, Carol. Spring has been a little battered lately with a drop in temperatures and lots of wind! However, the blue skies have continued and late blooming blossoms are beginning to appear and the tulips are coming up too! I don't like the heat at all, especially when it's humid, so I am happy when spring is moody and keeps the temperatures fresh and invigorating!

      Delete