Colour Therapy

In 1893, a wonderful little booklet was printed on Handiwork.
It was called:
The People's Handbook Series
The Ladies' Model
Fancy Work Manual

So dainty in primrose yellow

I have always enjoyed making this pattern
and right now this is my latest crochet project.

I came across a slightly modified pattern made by someone called Sandi Marshall
in 2006.
This simple, but lovely pattern is the centre part of a bigger doily called
"Crocheted Wheel for Tidy"
I wonder what a 'tidy' was in 1893?
The black and white photos at the end are of the original vintage booklet.

There's something refreshing about aqua tones
rich and vibrant

or in a paler shade.

Luminous pink

and sometimes all of them together.

Four together are nice

but five are even better!

They make lovely gifts and I use mine all the time:
Under glasses, mugs or small vases, even a special ornament
or made into a napkin ring.
I've even attached them together on a crocheted chain and hung them up to make a bunting
or individual ones attached with a thread and hung up against my windows!


Here is the link to Sandi Marshall's rewritten instructions to the original pattern

Here is the original full doily pattern
including the central flower motif.

The coaster pattern has been much copied, slightly modified and renamed
by many people, claiming the pattern as their own,
but the original, and protected version here has only one name:
The Crocheted Wheel for Tidy.

I haven't yet tried to make the whole doily, but a blogging friend,
Sandra from Cherry Heart:
has told me that she would like to try and decipher the original old pattern.

Do go and visit this lovely blog about crochet,
you will love looking at all her beautiful work,

Since colour is so important to me,
I had to finish up with a colourful collage!



12 comments

  1. Ahh, these are beautiful Sandra, you're right, the colour changing one is especially pretty! I haven't actually tried making one up yet, but I think I shall give it a whirl over the weekend. I'm so pleased that you shared the original source for this pattern. I find it amazing to think that it's been in existence for so long. A real oldie but goodie! ;)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see you, Sandra! Yes, this is a really pretty pattern and easy to do. Changing colours gives it more depth and interest somehow. I made some to go with my bodum glass mugs with coloured handles! Do let me know if you do the whole pattern. I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  2. Such pretty and useful crochet Sandra. They look really lovely.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarn! I love things that are pretty and useful at the same time!!

      Delete
  3. These colors make me happy. :-) I've never learned to crochet, but I love the idea of using these for bunting. So cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. Yes, happy colours! I love working with colour and the flowers on my balcony bring me lots of joy because of that!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the color. In the summer when the summer washes all the colors to dull, I crave vibrant, rich colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I agree that the bright summer sunshine eats away the vibrancy of colour. So glad these made you feel good!

      Delete
  5. You've chosen such beautiful colors for you flowers! Of course, I enjoyed the history behind the pattern and seeing the original publication. I'm a little behind in reading blogs since the boys have been here! I'm trying to catch up this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you to catch up on all my recent blog entries! I'm sure you were kept busy with the boy's visit! Now you can relax a little again!

      Delete
  6. These are so pretty and I love the colors . . . they are happy little pieces and make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! We all need a little colour in our life. It makes all the difference, doesn't it?

      Delete