30 Days of Compostion: 16-30

Day 16
What's leaving the frame?

Showing only part of our subject can be very intriguing
and I do very much like the expanse of negative space.

What's leaving the space on my embroidery scissors?

Day 17
Creating Depth

By setting my focus on the pebbles in the foreground,
I create depth on the blue and white material in the background.

Day 18
Create movement.

The fountain in the park creates the movement,
both in the stream of water coming down, the splashes
and the concentric circles.

More movement

This little family cycling in the countryside where I was walking.
The little fellow in the front was pedalling nineteen to the dozen!

Day 19
Perfectly aligned.

This doesn't only mean things all lined up in a row. 
The photographic example given was that of 'harmonious composition'
and how not to have conflicting elements in the frame which could make for confusing viewing.

I find that the whole scene of greens and that gentle blue sky work so well together,
but what I really like is the soft zig-zag of hedges leading us to a lone tree on the hill.
Also, if you look at the foreground of hedges and trees,
they lead our eye up to the small chalet in the distance.

Day 20
Deliberately discordant

In contrast to the image above, the fallen basket of yarn and odd crocheted samples
seems rather inharmonious.

Day 21
Square format

The square shape of this house in my neighbourhood
seemed to fit into the square format very well.

Day 22
Single focal point.

I set the focus on the geranium buds on my balcony
and allowed the leaves to provide a soft green background.

Day 23
Tiny subject

I think that this one is my favourite. I do love tiny things and this little crystal angel
seemingly flying through the air fitted so well into her sparkly, starry sky!

Day 24
Complementary colours.

On the colour wheel, complementary colours are those opposite each other
like red and green above.

More complementary colours seen at my local Farmer's Market.

Green and red vegetables,
but also purple aubergines (eggplant) and purple chicory
and the complementary light and bright yellow of the peppers.

Day 25
Monochrome

Monochrome doesn't only mean black and white (or different shades of grey),
it can also means subjects and background in the same colour.
These are some yellow chrysanthemums taken on a background of  similar yellow material.
Day 26
Abstract

Meaning of abstract:
Relating to or denoting something that does not attempt to represent external reality,
but rather seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, colours and textures.

Day 27
Repetition

Plenty of repetition here with the steps themselves,
the repeated patterns of shadows and the railings.

Day 28
S-Curve

The curve in this path of the rock garden can be seen to form an s-curve.

Day 29
Eye Contact

The easiest way of obtaining this was by taking a self-portrait in a mirror in my home!

Day 30
Break the rules.

Some rules, like not having our main subject right in the middle of the frame,
can be easily broken when harmony is retained.
A country path,  right in the middle of the frame, flanked by trees, can create a harmonious image.

This is the last part of my 30 Days of Composition.
I have really enjoyed creating them.

16 comments

  1. An impressive collection of pictures. To my surprise I quite like the monochrome one (as well as the pebbles and the angel and the very dominant first picture). Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie-Lucienne! It was a fun 30-day exercise to do and it inspired me to become more creative in the process!

      Delete
  2. You have such a wonderful eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Fi! I enjoyed interpreting prompts to do these last two blog entries!

      Delete
  3. Another enjoyable group of photos, Sandra! I have to agree with you that the tiny angel is my favorite as well. I love tiny things so much (as you've probably gathered from my stitching!). The monochromatic yellow photo is lovely, too. It must have been a lot of fun to hunt for the perfect photo to match the prompts. Well done on all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. So glad you enjoyed this second part of the 30 Days of Composition. I loved seeking out and imagining how I could best portray the prompts!

      Delete
  4. More wonderful photos! You have always had such a good eye for composition! I love the variety you came up with as you worked through the composition projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Cathy. I really enjoyed these 30 days of reflection and imagining how I could interpret each day!

      Delete
  5. They are each wonderfully creative.
    I enjoyed seeing what you do with these prompts.
    Loved seeing your smiling eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammie. I had a lovely time finding new inventive ways of representing a word or a phrase!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed looking at these photographs, it reminds me of the joy of taking photos which I don't do much of it these. I really like the crystal angel. I love tiny things.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lissa. The crystal angel is just about my favourite too! Taking photos is lots of fun and is probably my biggest passion along with walks in nature and working on colourful creations in crochet!

      Delete
  7. Another enjoyable group of photos, Sandra! I have to agreewith you that the tiny angel is my favorite as well. I love tiny things so much (as you've probably gathered from my stitching!). The monochromatic yellow photo is lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming in to visit and for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  8. Great compositions . .. I always love your photography. It is a great skill of yours.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, Sarn! So lovely to see you popping in to visit a past blog entry! I really enjoyed doing these 30 days of composition. It's good to stretch the photographic mind and not to get into a rut! :)

      Delete