Snippets from London 2019

A stay in London is always very special.
There are favourite haunts to visit and new ones to discover.
We always stay in the Bloomsbury area near Russell Square.
It's quiet and yet not far at all from the centre.

This lovely red door with polished chrome is in the street of  our hotel.

Nearby is the British Museum
full of interesting things to see.

like this marvellous ship which is actually an animated clock
which was put on banquet tables as a decoration.

This is the style of the Bed and Breakfast Hotels in the area.
I've stayed in this one too.
I do love the colourful window boxes of flowers.

Sicilian Avenue is where we often have our main meal of the day
in an Italian restaurant with a good choice of the sort of food we like to eat.

On the other side of Russell Square Park
is the Kimpton Fitzroy Hotel

Very grand inside with lots of marble and beautiful mosaic work in the entrance.

To give you a better idea of the mosaic design.

We had delicious sherries here with my son when he joined us in London
for a couple of days.

Here is an image of Queen Victoria hanging in front of a shop selling collector's coins.
It's just opposite the British Museum.

I couldn't put up an image of Victoria without adding a statue of her husband,
Prince Albert.

A red, sight-seeing double-decker bus.

Another bus and a taxi near the restaurant we go to.
The taxis are no longer only black now.
Many of them are coloured, either plain or with designs and even advertisements.

Since most people use mobile phones these days, 
the well-known red telephone booths are being recycled.
This one offers on the spot smart phone repairs!

There's even an Insect Hotel in the nearby park.
I love that!

I'll stop here for today with some of the photos I took in London, but I shall continue with a few more very soon!


12 comments

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful time with lots of wonderful sites. I have only been there once. I also enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing your snippets with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammie. London is a very special place to visit and there is always so much to see. I also love all the parks that are dotted everywhere.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, it's been ages since my last visit to London (20 years?). Unfortunately the hubby doesn't like large cities at all... I'm adamant I will return there though! One day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why your husband doesn't like large cities, but, London is very special and there are wonderful gardens and greenery spread all over the city and such lovely things to do and to visit!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos of another city I've never seen (but certainly hope to!). Loved seeing the photos of all the iconic things like the phone booth and double decker buses. Loved the photo of the window boxes. We saw so many homes with them in Germany and Austria--they really add so much to the look of a house! Not sure how I would enjoy watering all of those, though :)

    Hope your August is going well, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. London is really worth a visit and you must go to a show! Window boxes really look lovely when you don't have a garden. I live in an apartment with a long balcony and I have eight window boxes with flowers to water every day! I don't mind because I love flowers which are so important when you don't have a garden! I also have more plants in huge pots, including an olive tree and a rosemary tree and several garden herbs! It's quite a mini garden!

      Delete
  4. London looks like a wonderful place to take a vacation! I love the old architecture and lovely flowers everywhere! The Insect Hotel is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, London is an extremely lovely place to vist. There is so much to see and do and gardens everywhere when you want to retreat from the hustle and bustle! I love the Insect Hotel. They seem to be popping up everywhere, but this is the first time I've seen them in a London park!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Fi. London is always so special!

      Delete
  6. Your London photo's look amazing Sandra. It's only 90mins by train to the city for me, and yet, I rarely go! Your photographer's eye and joyful outlook make the city look wonderful.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Sarn! That's wonderful to be so close to London. May you and your husband should treat yourselves sometime soon and stay the night and see a show! Thank you for your always kind comments when you come and visit here!

      Delete