The Wisdom of Birthdays

I have always loved the fact that I was born in the beautiful month of May.
Spring is my favourite time of the year.
Nature is in all her beauty and usually it is not yet too hot!

Here are my cards and a new recipe for a delicious flourless chocolate cake.
which is made with 250 grams of high quality dark chocolate
3 eggs
50 grams of butter and 50 grams of raw cane sugar.
That is all.
The secret is to bake it for only 15 minutes so that it remains soft and very moist.

I received three beautiful red roses from my son and his wife.
They came with that lovely red rose card on my table above.

My daughter's gift is yet to come a little later.
It's a surprise, so I cannot talk about it here!

Isn't this card fun?
It came from a good friend.
The words were the best wisdom for this year's birthday!

Our 'bounce', or our resilience in life,
is what allows us to deal with the more difficult events that we may encounter.

Peonies continue to bring me joy all through this beautiful month

Their detailed centres are amazing.

I love notebooks and received this one
with a particularly beautiful cover designed by the British textile designer,
William Morris.
You can read about him 

The first entry in my notebook is the one from the card I received.

That's true!

These last two messages were inside my daughter's birthday card!

May so far this year, has not been the warmest nor the sunniest month.
We have had gale force winds and rainy days.
I find rainy days can be calming when the rain is gentle
and I love walking with my red umbrella in and around my neighbourhood.
enjoying the freshened greenery and listening
to the pitter-patter on my umbrella. 

A quiet birthday this year,
but filled with love and gentleness.


10 comments

  1. I'm so glad you had an enjoyable birthday, Sandra--I do think May is just the best time to celebrate (or maybe September :)! My mom's birthday on May 14 is always lovely, too with flowers blooming and cool breezes. Wonderful assortment of cards you received and your flourless cake looks so yummy. I made one for my son's birthday in March and will definitely be making it again. Your tablecloth is just beautiful--did you embroider it?

    Wishing you every happiness in your "new" year! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes, Carol. I agree, May and September are both beautiful months! No I didn't embroider the tablecloth. It was a gift from a stay in the mountains last year in a place called Zermatt. The embroidery is mountain flowers, both Edelweiss and blue Gentian. I remember you talking about the cake you made for your son's birthday!

      Delete
  2. Perfect sentiments and sayings in and on your birthday cards.
    I just KNOW you're a good bouncer!

    Nice to have quiet birthdays sometimes. Plus you have your daughter's surprise to come. Yippee!

    Love and hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarn! It's useful being a 'bouncer'! Yes, quiet days with a period of gale force winds and rain. The latter was much needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Sweet Sandra! I love that quote about bouncing back . . . I need to be reminded of that, too :) As always your photography is amazing.
    Have a lovely day.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind wishes, Connie. It's good to be reminded about being able to bounce back. We are all more resilient than we realize!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a lovely birthday, Sandra. Sometimes those quiet, gentle, love-filled days are just what our souls need. I love your William Morris notebook. Recently, I took a round-back spine bookbinding course and have been enjoying creating book cloth from vintage fabrics for the covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Yes, I had a lovely day! I love William Morris designs! Your bookbinding course sounds wonderful. I bet those vintage fabric book covers are beautiful. I'd love to see them!

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday to you! May is a wonderful month for a birthday, so full of spring beauty! I enjoy pretty notebooks, too! My daughter gave me one for Mother's Day. I'm anxious to write the first words in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind wishes, Cathy! I love having my birthday in May, even though we often have a bout of colder weather around mid-May! I still have fun and adapt to the way the wind blows!

      Delete